This week I’m attempting to answer a listener question: How do I get into poetry?
Poems in this week’s episode:
- Stopping by woods on a snowy evening by Robert Frost
- One Art by Elizabeth Bishop
- Burning Sappho by Gwen Harwood
- Lucky by Dorothy Porter
- praise song by Nate Marshall
Bonus poems (if you’ve got other ideas for starter poems, let me know!):
- We Real Cool by Gwendolyn Brooks
- The Lyrebird by David Brooks
- My Country by Dorothea McKellar
- The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T. S. Eliot
- Growing a Bear by Hannah Gamble
You can find plenty of qualified peeps ready to guide you into poetry on Coursera, edX, Poetry Foundation, iTunesU (check out Open Yale Courses to start with) and YouTube (here’s a great lecture on Eliot’s The Wasteland).
Finally, have a browse through some of the Aussie journals publishing exciting new poems today like Cordite, Verity La and Meanjin.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download